More Toys

Diy BassFeeling Brave, and wanting another bass but not being to afford one, I decided to build one.

A bit of shopping around took me to wd-music and their bass kits. It looked easy enough to build and the price wasn’t too bad.

It arrived Friday, and I spent 3 hours assembling it. Although it arrived without any instructions it was relatively simple to assemble. The only thing they got wrong on the order was the wrong coloured scratch-plate. They’re sending me the correct colour one, hence it’s scratch plate less in the picture.

Allowing a day for the neck to settle, I speant an hour setting up the action and then about two hours playing and adjusting.

I have to say, I’m really quite impressed, the action feels good and it’s got a very different sound to my other bass, which is exactly what I wanted. The strings are adequate, and I’ll be replacing them with some rotosound strings fairly soon. I’ve also got some Seymour Duncan STK-J2 and SPM-2 pickups on order. So I’ll be replacing the mid J pickup with a P bass pickup, the SPM-2. which should be fun as I’ll have to attack the body with a router!

Anyway, if you want a bass to play with and experiment with, then you can’t go far wrong with a kit. I don’t have so much of a problem modifying a bass I built from kit, much easier than taking a 500 quid Fender and hacking at it!

Comments are closed.