Defender update

It’s been a while since I posted anything about Defender. And to be honest, it’s been a while since I did anything with it.

I had a friend visit earlier this week and he asked about the pile of PCBs on my desk, so I explained and played him some sound samples and he was really enthusiastic, and very impressed.

This has spurred me on to do some more work on Defender. So this weekend I’ve been designing the front panel PCB. It will have a very similar layout to the breadboard one I started here, but will use a serial communication protocol to talk to the main CPU.

Their are many reasons for this, but mostly because it then allows me to use this same panel design and code base for other projects that crop up in the future. It also means that with a some small code changes, I could get it to talk to my Chameleon.

I should add, I’ve not been entirely idle, As of Febuary 2007, Defender has 3 oscillators rather than just the two. Also oscillators 2 and 3 can be sync’d to oscillator 1. In addition to that, it now has 57 waveforms plus PWM. You can hear a demo of the 3 oscillators and the sound samples page.

I’m feeling a lot more positive about this project now, and I hope that by the end of the year I’ve managed to build a working 2 voice version. In theory Defender could handle up to 14 voices. I think if I can build 8 voices, I’ll probably stop there.

One Response to “Defender update”

  1. Eric Brombaugh Says:

    Great to see you’re still hacking on your synths! Sounds like the Defender is coming along nicely.

    Things are still percolating slowly on the FPGA synth list too. There are a bunch of low level things under way, including some interesting alternative synthesis stuff.

    Hope things are going well.